Monday, November 2, 2009

Inspiration: Ian Kamau


The older I get, the more music I listen to, but it's rare that I come across artists or cohesive projects that speak to me. About a month ago, I saw a video (which I'll post here) of an artist from Toronto named Ian Kamau.

Ian's been around for a while, and I've heard him on a few projects over the years (all the while, I was unaware of who he was), but he was always a guest artist. This was the first time I just got to hear him go off on his own accord, and I was very impressed.

Kamau, "Home" from Earwaks.com on Vimeo.



A short time later, I discovered that he'd released a mixtape on his own for free, and I quickly downloaded it. I'm not big on mixtapes, honestly, but I decided to give this one a chance because it was the most extensive solo material of his that I could find. My download of faith really paid off, and I loved every track off the first volume of his Sept. 9 mixtape.

On (you guessed it) Sept. 9th, he released volume 2, and I've been bumping it on a daily basis. I strongly encourage everybody to download both volumes, especially if you like lyrical Hip-Hop, spoken word, etc. Let me know what you good people out there think. I'd like to try to get Ian to make a trip down South for the Speakeasy, but time's going to have to be the determining factor with that. In the meantime, enjoy!

Blessings

1 comment: